Monday, November 28, 2011

Still Walking

I chose this movie because of Hiroshi Abe.  Up to this movie, I had yet to see him in any drama or movie that was disappointing.  This movie still proves that.  I had read the synopsis of the movie before I got it but by the time I actually sat down to watch it, I'd already forgotten the plot.

Hiroshi Abe is Ryo.  He recently married Yukari, a widow with a 10 year old son, Atsushi.  When the movie starts, they are on their way to Ryo's parent's home.  Ryo has a sister who is already at the parent's home with her husband and their 2 kids.  Dear God...when I heard her voice I was so close to stopping the movie.  She has the most annoying voice I have ever heard.  I don't know if she did it on purpose or if that's the way she speaks...either way, I couldn't stand it.

The movie is basically about how the family comes together to remember Ryo's older brother, Junpei who 15 years prior, saved the life of a 10 year old boy and lost his own life as a result.  The movie doesn't say exactly how he died though I suspect perhaps he may have drowned.  That detail isn't important anyway...

It seems that Junpei was supposed to follow in his father's footsteps and become a doctor so he could take over the clinic that his father was running.  Ryo's relationship with his father is strained and it seems it's because without Junpei, everything the father had hoped for was gone.  Ryo could never be Junpei...

The movie turned out to be pretty good despite that annoying actress' voice.  Hiroshi Abe knows how to pick his roles.  I've found a few more with him in them and I'm hoping I can get a hold of them all.  I'd watch this one again.

No comments: