Saturday, August 29, 2026

There Goes Benio, the Smart Girl (1987) | はいからさんが通る| Haikarasan ga Tooru

Decided to watch this one because it's Hiroshi Abe's debut movie.  I'm not sure when I first saw him but it was definitely in a drama.  I suppose I could go and look at a list of his TV work and figure it out.  If I had to guess, I would say possibly Dragon Zakura. All I know is that once I saw him, it was love at first sight!  I looked up a list of other dramas he was in and I started watching them.  I was never disappointed!  I quickly learned I wasn't the only one who thought he was very handsome.  The more dramas he was in that I watched, the more I really liked him as an actor.  He was very good at taking on different types of characters and not playing them the same way (if that makes any sense).

In his first role, he was just okay for me.  It was a main role but it didn't feel like he was in it much.  

Summary from online: (not sharing the site because I see there were at least 4 or 5 sites with the exact same summary and I have no idea whose summary it was originally!)

"Benio , a peppy tomboy, is surprised to learn that she has been secretly betrothed by her grandfather to a young officer named Shinobu Ijuin.  Because of his family's noble status, Benio must first undergo rigorous training to learn how to be a proper bride and wife before she can marry.  However, because of her vivacious personality, this proves to be more challenging than anyone imagined."

Hiroshi Abe plays Shinobu Ijun.  Seeing him so young, I don't think I would have thought he was particularly special if I had watched this back in 1987.  Aside from the fact that I was not into Japanese guys (or any Asian guys) back then, he looked like any other Asian guy.  I fell for a bit more mature looking Hiroshi Abe which is a little odd for me. 

In a nutshell, Benio is a cute girl but she is headstrong.  She finds out she is engaged to a guy she doesn't know and starts living in the home where she is taught how to be a proper girl.  Shinobu likes her and he treats her well and Benio starts to like him.  Before he ships out, he tells Benio he wants to marry her after he gets back and she agrees.

What happens after that?  You'll have to find the movie and see!  It's a cute movie and it's kind of predictable.  If I was able to figure it out, anyone can.  I usually watch movies and get lost somewhere because I'm just watching and enjoying the movie.  I'm not thinking ahead about it.  Anyway, cute movie.  I liked it!




No comments: